top of page




GI Bill benefits help you pay for college, graduate school, and training programs. Since 1944, the GI Bill has helped qualifying Veterans and their family members get money to cover all or some of the costs for school or training. Learn more about GI Bill benefits on this page—and how to apply for them.

Montgomery GI Bill Active Duty (MGIB-AD)- The Montgomery GI Bill Active Duty (MGIB-AD) can help you pay for education and training programs. If you’ve served at least 2 years on active duty, find out if you qualify for the MGIB-AD program.

Eligibility: You may be eligible for education benefits through this program if you were honorably discharged and you meet the requirements of one of these categories.  


The Post-9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33) helps you pay for school or job training. If you’ve served on active duty after September 10, 2001, you may qualify for the Post-9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33). Find out if you can get this education benefit.

Eligibility You served at least 90 days on active duty (either all at once or with breaks in service) on or after September 11, 2001, or You received a Purple Heart on or after September 11, 2001, and were honorably discharged after any amount of service, or You served for at least 30 continuous days (all at once, without a break in service) on or after September 11, 2001, and were honorably discharged with a service-connected disability, or You’re a dependent child using benefits transferred by a qualifying Veteran or service member


Note: If you’re a member of the Reserves who lost education benefits when the Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP) ended in November 2015, you may qualify to receive restored benefits under the Post-9/11 GI Bill.



The Edith Nourse Rogers Science Technology Engineering Math (STEM) Scholarship allows eligible Veterans using the Post-9/11 GI Bill or dependents using the Fry Scholarship to get added benefits.


If you’re enrolled in an undergraduate STEM degree program or if you have a STEM degree and are working toward a teaching certification, you may be eligible.

**Note: You can’t use the STEM scholarship for graduate degree programs at this time.**


The VET TEC program can match you with a leading training provider to help you develop skills to start or advance your career in a high-tech industry. If you get GI Bill benefits, you may be eligible.

You may be eligible for VET TEC if you meet all of these requirements.

All of these must be true:

- You aren’t on active duty or are within 180 days of separating from active duty

 - You qualify for VA education assistance under the GI Bill

- You have at least one day of unexpired GI Bill entitlement, and You’re accepted into a program by a VA-approved training provider

Note: Your VET TEC training won’t count against your GI Bill entitlement, and you need only one day of unexpired GI Bill benefits to participate.

What types of training does VET TEC cover?

You can get training in one of these high-demand training areas:

 Computer software

 Computer programming

 Data processing

Information science

Media applications


Veteran Readiness and Employment (Chapter 31) - you have a service-connected disability that limits your ability to work or prevents you from working, Veteran Readiness and Employment (formerly called Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment) can help.


This program—also known as Chapter 31 or VR&E—helps you explore employment options and address education or training needs. In some cases,

your family members may also qualify for certain benefits. Explore VR&E support-and-services tracks for help learning new skills, finding a new job, starting a business, getting educational counseling, or returning to your former job.

You’re eligible to apply for VR&E benefits and services if you meet both of these requirements:

All of these must be true:

- You didn’t receive a dishonorable discharge, and You have a service-connected disability rating of at least 10% from VA

- When we receive your VR&E application, we’ll schedule your initial evaluation with a Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor (VRC). The VRC will determine if you’re entitled to receive VR&E benefits and services.

- If you were discharged from active duty before January 1, 2013, your basic period of eligibility ends 12 years from one of these dates, whichever comes later:

The date you received notice of your date of separation from active duty, or

The date you received your first VA service-connected disability rating

The basic period of eligibility may be extended if a VRC finds that you have a serious employment handicap (SEH).


Having an SEH means your service-connected disability significantly limits your ability to prepare for, obtain, and maintain suitable employment (a job that doesn’t make your disability worse; is stable; and matches your abilities, aptitudes, and interests).

If you were discharged from active duty on or after January 1, 2013, the 12-year basic period of eligibility doesn’t apply to you. There’s no time limit on your eligibility.

There are other Education and Employment Benefits Available to Veterans Please stop by our office so we can help you decide what is available.

bottom of page