Applications for a Director/Veterans Service Officer must be received by Aug 25, 2023 to be considered by the Holmes County Veterans Service Commission. Please add date of application to top of resume. Please send resume to email@example.com
1. Be an Honorably Discharged Veteran with possession of DD214(s) for all periods of service.
2. High school graduate
3. A minimum of 3 years supervisory experience in social services or documented work experience of 5 years or more in a social services position.
4. In possession of a valid Ohio vehicle driver’s license.
5. Knowledge of office management procedures including evaluation of work performance and workflow for all staff members.
6. Ability to work with local, state, and federal governments to procure benefits for veterans, spouses, dependents, widows/widowers, parents, and current member of the armed forces.
7. The ability to attend meetings of the Commission and represent the Holmes County Veterans Service Commission in all facets.
8. Prepare and present annual budget for approval to the Commission and the Board of County Commissioners.
9. Maintain and establish new outreach programs for Veterans Service Commission to include local Veterans’ activities that promote Holmes County Veteran’s Services.
10. Hold all required accreditations to include state and federal within 3 months of employment.
11. Be able to perform all other duties as assigned by the commission.
Office services/assistance offered:
- Non-service-connected compensation claims
- Service-connected compensation claims
- Dependency and Indemnity Compensation for surviving spouses (DIC)
- Widow’s pension and benefits
- Aid and attendance claims
- Housebound status claims
- Department of Veterans Affairs healthcare paperwork
- Dependent’s status claims
- Accrued benefits claims
- Notice of Disagreements.
- Claim appeals and reviews.
- Discharge upgrades
- Burial benefits to include indigent burials.
- GI Bill/Chapter 31 educational benefits
- Vocational Rehabilitation
- Department of Veterans Affairs home loan program
- Ohio War Orphan & Severely Disabled Veterans Children Program
- Financial assistance for local clients in need
- Military awards and medals
- Speaking engagements
- Review of all documentation and paperwork that enters office.
- Perform all office duties in accordance with office policies.
- Perform house visits for housebound veterans.
- Perform and be proficient in all other office functions not already stated, to maintain a highly functioning professional office setting.
Statement of Commission:
The Holmes County Veterans Service Commission is the agency of first resort for Veterans, Veterans’ widows/widowers, Veterans’ dependents, parents, and other agencies pertaining to all Veterans’ issues. The Commission requires consistent interaction with Veterans and professionalism at all times, to include outside of office hours. A Director should be flexible and have the ability to adapt with ever changing laws and issues with astute solutions that will always be in the best interest of the client. The Commission expects all personnel employed by the Veterans Service office to treat each and every Veteran with respect regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or age.
Holmes County Veteran Service Commission will consider training the right individual; however, the ideal candidate would have at least 3-5 years of experience as an Ohio Accredited Veterans Service Officer. Candidate will be able to navigate complex issues and work closely with other local social services organizations. As a Director, the Commission expects the highest degree of integrity, adherence to Ohio Ethics Laws, a willingness to learn from and train junior Service Officers, and cooperation and a high degree of communication with all office personnel. The Director will participate with, and provide oversight of, transportation, financial assistance applications, budget allocations, and benefit claims. The ideal candidate will also have a fundamental understanding of medical and military terminology. The Director is the “face of the office” and is the primary Point of Contact for public engagements.
Holmes County offers a generous compensation package and an incredibly supportive and involved Veteran Community. Salary is commensurate with experience. Please call 330-674-4806 for more information